Monday, June 7, 2010

What a weekend!

Just a note, this was written up yesterday. So where it says yesterday it actually occurred 2 days ago. I'm still recovering. Fucking horses!

Sometimes I think my horses truly and honestly get kicks out of scaring the absolute living daylights out of me!

Yesterday I took a friend out to the paddock to meet the horses and go for a bit of a ride. She's been living on the other side of the country for a few years and hasn't had a chance to ride in a very long time. Anyway, she got to ride a couple of horses so she was stoked.

We were wandering down the alleyway taking Fanta back to her paddock, chatting merrily, when I looked up and noticed my paddock appeared to be 2 horses short. We finished the trek up there and I did a proper head count, sure enough, no sign of Trojan or Kody. 

Of course at this point my heart is racing a hundred miles an hour, as I was scouring the paddock, checking fence lines for horses trapped in fences, checking the ground for horses down and not getting up. Nothing. 

We trudged up the paddock and I spotted it. Right up the very back corner. Fence down. Little devils. That fence borders on to state bushland. Awesome. 

I started franticly calling their names. Surprisingly, I got answers. From total opposite directions. Even better. I continued to call and Kody popped out from behind the trees in one of the neigbouring properties paddocks. Thank God. We opened up their back gate and let him back in to his own paddock, locked up their gate again and turned around to search the other paddocks for Trojan.

At this point I was calling for Tj and receiving an answer each time. Unfortunately each answer was sounding more and more panicked. He was not at all impressed with having found himself separated from Kody and all his other buddies. 

I looked up the top of the hill, just in time to see a black blur go hurtling along the crest of the hill. Probably, half a kilometre away and on somebody else's property again. 

Luckily at this point my cousin had driven up the paddock to see why we hadn't come back down to the sheds yet. So we jumped in her car and she drove us up the top of the hill, to the end of our property. We got out and started trudging through the bush calling again.

Eventually we found him. Drenched in sweat, nostrils flared, clearly freaked out! We took our time and got him to settle enough to get him haltered and began the loooong walk back to his paddock.

After an eventful walk back, due to poor Trojan being completely and utterly freaked out of his mind, spooking all over the place, we stopped him outside the gate of his paddock and checked him over. His legs are a bit scratched up, nothing serious though. Most of the damage was done to his hooves, they have several large chips out of them and a lot of smaller ones too. 

So there you have it. The story of my weekend. Believe me when I say I hope that I never have to deal with that stress again! The fence is fixed and reinforced now and they've managed to stay out of trouble for a whole 24 hours now. Here's hoping!


  1. Wow! Some weekend u had!!
    I like reading your blog. As I read I get these pictures in my head of you walking with your horse Trojan who is freaked out but happy to be back:)

  2. I used to be obsessed with horses until one day I fell from one and broke my ankle now I admit I have a tiny fear of horses but you have 8 which is AWESOME!!
    I hope Trojan is doing okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.s: Love love your blog! Keep writing about Kody and Trojan and the rest of the gang.